It's that time of year again:
Deer season.
This marks a time of much added work for us as we process the deer my husband harvests. Although my husband hunts every year, this is actually only the second year in a row that we do this, so we are definitely still learning. It takes a few hours to properly skin, clean and part out a deer. The end result, however, is a freezer full of roasts, ground meat, steaks and sausage. Last year we made deer jerky for the first time! I look forward to that again.
This also marks a time, when me and the children are on our own for meals and pretty much everything else because Daniel is out in the woods hunting. Not that you will hear me complaining because I definitely love the fresh venison!!
With all the new skills that I am learning (and working on learning) such as canning, freezing and drying food it makes for endless days.
Productive days.
And I am thankful for that.
Somehow I am even managing to catch up on herbal salve making. I am so behind! I can honestly say that I do not have one jar of any of my favorite salves right now. By the end of the week, however, that will change. I am currently working on some almond oil infused with calendula flowers that will be made into what is probably my all time favorite salve: Calendula Salve. My kids love this stuff! You should have seen their faces when they realized we were out of it. One day I hope to see them making it for themselves.
Right now, at this moment, I am embracing this season. All of it, from the falling leaves to the clear blue skies and crisp autumn air to the deer processing.
I hope I am teaching my children to do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment